He told her,"I love you."
She just sipped her coffee.
He told her, "You are my world."
She turned the newspaper. Oblivious.
He said to her, "I can't live without you."
She looked up at him, "Go try." was her reply.
Days went by without talking.
He sent her flowers at her work place.
It had a card that read, "I would give you the moon, if that is what you wanted, I love you so."
She told him that night, "If you love me so, I want the moon."
He just stared at her.
"Love is overrated," she said. "You do all sorts of stupid things for someone in the hopes that the other person notices, and feels the same way. Love invites in a stranger, and hands them your heart on a platter. It makes you silly and full of nonsense."
He stared at her for hours while she slept.
"What are you doing?" she queried upon waking.
He had strewn the room in rose petals, lit scented candles, and had soft romantic music playing.
"I want to show you how much I love you." he responded.
"Leave," she replied. "I don't love you." She turned away and closed her eyes.
He was gone when she woke. At first, she was happy. Then she started to miss him. It satarted with the little things he had done for her. Small things to tell her he loved her. He would make her coffee, and her breakfast, just the way she wanted it. He would clean the apartment, she never had to worry. All the small things in her life, gone.
After a few weeks, she could stand it no longer. She called his phone.
He answered. "Hello?"
"I miss you. I love you. I am sorry." she cried.
"I don't know you." he replied coldly.
And hung up.
No comments:
Post a Comment